We spent a chunk of time last month covering the 2017 NFL draft, but the very first thing I did was call the whole thing a crap shoot. That experts study film of college players trying to figure out who can make the jump to the pros and just how much to invest in them. And there are as many busts as there are stars out of each draft class. Some of the best players come from late round picks while some of the biggest flops were picked in the first or second rounds.
Today the Buffalo Bills have released their second round pick from 2014, offensive tackle Cyrus Kouandjio. This move was likely applauded by the equipment manager who has to put the names on the jerseys, but it’s a sad thing when you think about a team giving up on a 23-year old player that they once thought highly of. He was a first-team All-SEC selection from Alabama in 2013, but spent his first two years with the Bills as a back-up and finally started five games last season due to an injury to left tackle Cordy Glenn.
Kouandjio hasn’t been participating in the teams OTAs because of a hip injury from a fall that took place in his home. The other factor may have been that he was hospitalized in April after police found him in a field of the highway… with no pants. Actually, you have to think the no pants thing may have played a big part in the Bills decision. The police said that he had climbed over an electric fence after abandoning his car on the highway.
The thing is, Kouandjio is 23-years old, 6’7″, 320 lbs and play offensive tackle. If he can recover from his hip injury and come up with an even slightly plausible story for not having pants… like they caught on the fence while he was climbing… a team will give him another chance. Offensive tackles are always in high demand and pants come with every uniform.
- NFL To Allow A Little More Fun In The New Season
- The Best Job In The NFL: Long Snapper
- Cleveland Browns Sign #1 Draft Pick To $30 Million Contract
- L. A. Stadium Delay A Bigger Issue For The Chargers Than Rams
- Marvel’s Luke Cage Season 1, Episode 7 Recap: Manifest - June 17, 2018
- Marvel’s Luke Cage Season 1, Episode 6 Recap: Suckas Need Bodyguards - June 17, 2018
- Stephen Amell Tells Arrow Writers to Write Like There’s No Tomorrow - June 17, 2018
- Exclusive: First Look at Martin Morazzo’s Cover for She Could Fly #3 - June 17, 2018
- Seth MacFarlane is Embarrassed to Work for Fox After Tucker Carlson Comment - June 17, 2018