Netflix has decided not to renew its hip-hop musical original series The Get Down according to Deadline. It’s the rare Netflix show not to get a second season.
The season reportedly cost about $120 million and is the first series by Baz Luhrmann. It went through a lengthy and difficult pre-production that caused delays and was the reason why the first season was aired in two parts. Earlier this spring Luhrmann seemed pretty confident that they were getting second season saying in an interview with Vulture,
“To be honest, we have already developed the opening of the next season,” he said. “Sony and Netflix have been very driven about having a second season. There has been no question about that. They really want it.”
In a facebook post to fans Luhrmann is making it sound like the decision not to have a second season is more his own rather than am issue with ratings or numbers.
“When I was asked to come to the center of The Get Down to help realize it, I had to defer a film directing commitment for at least two years. This exclusivity has understandably become a sticking point for Netflix and Sony, who have been tremendous partners and supporters of the show. It kills me that I can’t split myself into two and make myself available to both productions… But the simple truth is, I make movies.”
Luhrmann’s full letter is below. The first season of The Get Down is currently streaming on Netflix.
- First Teaser For Netflix Original Series OZARK
- Teaser For Netflix's Castlevania Series Appears Online
- Trailer For Bong Joon Ho And Netflix's 'Okja'
- The Dark Crystal Gets A Netflix Prequel Series
- Did Tom Holland Just Reveal the Title to the Spider-Man: Homecoming Sequel? - June 23, 2018
- Todd Mcfarlane Says the Production for Spawn Will Be Very Low Key - June 23, 2018
- Amber Heard Wanted a Comic-Accurate Version of Mera in Aquaman - June 22, 2018
- New Trailer for the Upcoming Thriller ‘Searching’ - June 22, 2018
- New Ant-Man and The Wasp Featurette, Plus a New TV Spot - June 22, 2018