Add this one to the vault of things Nintendo removed from their games as the latest Mario Kart 8 Deluxe update removes a hand gesture replaces a victory gesture Which one? This one you see below which will now be preserved for all of eternity online because Nintendo made a big deal out of it!
That’s the Splatoon Inkling Girl’s victory pose as she skeets around the track, raising one arm up as a fist bump while the other is holding her flexing bicep. Totally cool, right? Well, it got removed because Nintendo received complaints about it looking like the “Italian salute,” which is basically a much more aggressive way to flip people off. So the 1.1 update to the game that got released this week had the note that “Inkling Girl’s animation has been adjusted,” to this:
The subtle change is that she’s now no longer holding her bicep. There are some other fixes in the update, but none that got as much attention from gamers as this. Nintendo has, shall we say, a very looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong history of taking out material that offends people. Like removing crosses from gravestones, giving Ness in Earthbound pajamas instead of being nude in bed, or adding additional clothing to Final Fantasy sprites. You can read all about these fixes in the Legends Of Localization website. Looks like they got another entry to add.
- Nintendo Post The 135 Page 'Earthbound' Guide For The Super NES Classic Edition
- Check Out This Footage Of 'Mario Kart Arcade GP' In A VR Arcade
- More News & Rumors Being Leaked Online About The 'Mario + Rabbids' Game
- Nintendo Shows Off The Co-Op Feature In ‘Super Mario Odyssey’ - October 22, 2017
- You Can Buy The ‘Super Mario Odyssey’ Theme On iTunes - October 22, 2017
- We’re Getting A New TMNT Arcade Game Debuting At IAAPA - October 21, 2017
- We Finally See The Box For ‘Dragon Ball FighterZ’ - October 21, 2017
- The Escapist Community Learns The Staff Has Been Let Go - October 21, 2017