The new X-Men Gold #4 sees a few of the mutant members up against the Serpent Society. They don’t take the encounter that seriously.
I mean, look, they’re even trying to steal money bags with dollar signs on them. Seriously.
Originally Captain America villains, their first appearance as the Serpent Squad with the Viper, the Eel, and Cobra saw them planning to ruin Captain America’s reputation using false advertisements.
They tried to persuade people that Captain America was someone he wasn’t. Funny that.
Because the Serpent Society make another appearance today which may be taken more seriously. In the final pages of Secret Empire #2. In an unnamed location – unless it is a double meaning on the word hope, both a word used by the unnamed collective narrator to tie in with previous uses in the issue and an indication of where this scene is happening. Or even the embodiment of an ideal as a young woman being pursued by serpents. Through a forest.
Is this a Garden Of Eden, full of trees of knowledge? Loss of innocence, a grim and dark future, what information could be imparted?
And a figure emerging, not from the ice, to defend hope…
It’s Hipster Cap! Or Lumberjack Cap! Or just plain old Steve Rogers.
Because if Kobik restored the Hydra Cap, which kicked off the whole fuss… where did the other Cap go?
Secret Empire #2 by Nick Spencer and Andrea Sorrentino is published today.
- Secret Empire #1 Reviewed By A DC Fan
- DC Launches Justice League Of China Comic Book In 2018 - November 20, 2017
- DC Comics Previews Catalogue For February 2018 Solicits - November 20, 2017
- Vikings Vs Aliens In Josh Vann And Simone D’Armini’s The Spider King From IDW In February 2018 - November 20, 2017
- Before The Curtain Rises On Dean Haspiel’s Harakiri Kane For The Last Time… - November 20, 2017
- Arizonan Retailer Exclusives And A Trailer For The Release Of Paradiso #1 - November 20, 2017