We have had comic con battles in London before. Kapow making fake claims, countered by MCM London Comic Con, with London Supercon getting in a fair few blow while the London Film & Comic Con grabs Eagle Awards, that then have to be renamed… it get get quite testy.
But the weekend after next should take this to new heights. as the Walker Stalker team put on their Heroes And Villians con on the same weekend as MCM London Comic Con’s spring show.
It’s a ridiculous face-off. The same day will see two shows on opposing sides of London, East Vs West.
Heroes And Villians Fan Fest held in Olympia, near Earl’s Court and Hammersmith (where I saw the ads) has big name genre TV stars,
Emily Bett Rickards, Stephen Amell, Melissa Benoist, John Barrowman, Hayley Atwell, Stanley Tucci, Brandon Routh, Michael Rooker, Sean Gunn, Robbie Amell, Shantel Van Santen, Katie Cassidy, Josh Segarra, Colin Donnell, Charlotte Ross, Michael Rowe, Matt Ryan, Richard Brakes, Mehcad Brooks, Chris Wood, Italia Ricci, Maisie Richardson-Sellers, Milo Ventimiglia, Robin Lord Taylor, Drew Powell, Jessica Lucas, Sean Pertwee and David Mazouz.
Basically, if you are all about the DC Extended Universe, with a little bit of Guardians, you have to be at Heroes Vs Villains. Oh and they have three artists you may not have heard of.
And MCM London Comic Con at the ExCel Centre?
They have Donnie Yen, Billie Piper, Catherine Tate, Nichelle Nichols, Lou Ferrigno, Summer Glau, Sean Maher, Daniela Ruah, Eric Christian Olsen, Sam J Jones, Vernon Troyer, Echo Kellum, Victor Garber, Caspar Crumb, Manu Bennett, Luke Mitchell, Rebecca Breeds, Eugene Simon, Scott Adkins, Warwick Davies, Andrew Lee Potts, Keith Allen (bloody hell, that could be fun), KJ Apa, Greg Austin, Fady Elsayed, Sophie Hopkins, Vivian Oprah, Austin St. John, Walter Jones, Karan Ashley, David Yost, Tatsuma Minamikawa, Yohei Ito, Hynden Walch, Jeremy Shada, Veronica Taylor, David Prowse, Brian Herring, Paul Kasey, Rufus Wright, Derek Arnold, Matthew Stirling, Guy Henry, Christopher Patrick Nolan, Jemma Redgrave (someone get her on a panel with Keith Allen), Catherine Russell, Chris Barrie, Mark Dexter, Robert Llewellyn, Ross O’Hennessy and Sean Kelly
So that’s Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Firefly, Red Dwarf and, um, NCIS: LA. And the crumbs of Arrow… by whom I mean Caspar Crumb.
Again, your focus of interest may choose one over the other but Heroes And Villains is focused on Arrow, Supergirl, Flash and Gotham while MCM London spreads its wings more.
But that’s just the media stars. MCM also has authors and artists in abundance. Heroes And Villains… does not. The other fact to consider is that MCM has the crowd. As it stands… Heroes And Villains might have had the crowd. But that’s before it went head to head with the monster that is MCM.
It’s the equivalent of Wizard World running a San Diego show on the same day as… well, San Diego.
Also MCM has the Friday to Sunday, Heroes has just the weekend. Heroes has announced a sellout of tickets – but MCM will get an attendance into the six figures in a much larger venue.
Some people, of course, may try to do both. The long established MCM will certainly lose some audience. But it’s nothing compared to the audience that Heroes could have had if it scheduled on a different weekend…
- Walking Around Comics Village At MCM London Comic Con Spring 2017...
- 71 Shots Of Cosplay From MCM London Comic Con - On The Showfloor, In The Sunshine, In The Bars....
- Those Funko Exclusives On The Floor Of MCM London Comic Con Spring 2017 - From Steve Trevor To Mace Windu...
- I Appear To Be On My Way To MCM London Comic Con 2017...
- Avengers #675 Begins Weekly Avengers Story For 2018, No Surrender, With Mark Waid, Al Ewing, Jim Zub, Pepe Larraz, Kim Jacinto And Paco Medina - September 25, 2017
- Mindless Speculation About Where Marvel Legacy Revelations May Lead - September 25, 2017
- Artist David Marquez Spotlighted At Rose City Comic Con - September 25, 2017
- Is Mark Millar Putting Flash Gordon Back Into Starlight? - September 25, 2017
- Talking With Skottie Young: “I Think It’s Amazing I’m Known At All” - September 25, 2017