Pro wrestler turned movie star Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is pulling ahead of President Donald Trump in the early 2020 presidential race, according to recent poll results from the the Public Policy Polling organization. In a head to head race between Trump and Johnson, who announced that he was seriously considering a 2020 run earlier this month, Johnson leads in the polls 42% to 37%, according to the results. 36% of voters view Johnson favorably, with only 13% viewing him negatively (probably John Cena fans) and 50% with no opinion either way. Conversely, 54% of voters think Trump is doing a bad job. Both Republicans and Democrats have a favorable view of The Rock with more than double the amount of people viewing him favorably than unfavorably. Democrats, by a small margin, like The Rock more than Republicans.
Johnson has deliberately kept his political views private over the years. He spoke at the 2000 Republican national convention, but also attended the Democratic convention that year, and both times he was promoting the voter turnout message of WWE’s Smackdown Your Vote program. Johnson says both candidates approached him for an endorsement in 2016, which he refused, and he was critical of some of Donald Trump’s policies in a recent interview with GQ.
If it seems ridiculous that a professional wrestler could be president, we’ve already had one: Abraham Lincoln! Lincoln was famous for both his legit wrestling skills and a penchant for trash talking. Had Lincoln been alive today, Vince McMahon would probably have seen him as having “a good look” and given him a Roman Reigns-esque push, making him look extremely strong. And with Lincoln out of the way, enjoying a successful modern day pro wrestling career, that would have freed up Andrew Jackson to stop the Civil War. Alas, things didn’t work out that way. But even if you’re looking for one more recently, it’s worth noting that President Trump himself is a WWE Hall-of-Famer, having participated in a main event match at Wrestlemania 23, and even brought former WWE CEO Linda McMahon onboard his cabinet as the head of the Small Business Administration.
And while The Rock and The Donald may have their differences, they do have one thing in common: both have been on the receiving end of at least one Stone Cold Stunner:
- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Slams Critics Over Baywatch Box Office Performance
- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's Political Career Suffers First Major Setback As Baywatch Set To Bomb At The Box Office
- Is Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Whose Patronus Is A Silverback, Angling For A Role In The Fantastic Beasts Franchise?
- Did WWE Chairman Vince McMahon Have Something To Do With Donald Trump Firing James Comey?
- Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Elaborates On Politics, Presidential Run "A Real Possibility"
- Chilling Adventures Of… Sorcery?! And Cosmo #1 In The Archie January 2018 Solicitations - October 17, 2017
- Se7en Screenwriter Signs On To Justin Lin’s ‘Lone Wolf And Cub’ Movie At Paramount - October 17, 2017
- X-Men’s Blink Gets A Physics-Defying New Costume On Cable #153 Cover - October 17, 2017
- Buy Marvel Legacy #1 With Some Extra Bonus Content For $40 This January - October 17, 2017
- What If… Kieron Gillen Had Continued To Write The X-Men - October 17, 2017