There’s just one weekend left before hardcore action-RPG The Surge officially releases. Deck 13 Interactive and Focus Home Interactive’s sci-fi RPG allows players to battle through a world gone mad as Warren, on his first day of work at CREO – a mega-corporation that has been hit by a devastating catastrophe. And with the official launch trailer hitting a nice four days in advance, well, you’ve got more than enough time to prepare.
Balancing risk and reward is key during The Surge’s combat, as the unique loot system gives you greater control over what you claim from defeated enemies. In visceral combat you will individually target specific body parts, damaging them with a combination of vertical and horizontal attacks before slicing the part off entirely. What you dismember directly determines what piece of equipment you loot, so when approaching an enemy, you face a difficult decision: do you target an unarmored body part for a shorter fight, or risk a lengthier, damaging battle for a chance at slicing off a shiny new piece of equipment?
To get the best loot you’ll need to take on the most difficult enemies, so positioning and speed are vital. The rules of combat apply to both you and your enemy: get hit in an unarmored limb, and you’ll go down faster. Take advantage of the enemy’s weaknesses while balancing your own, and you’ll walk away with their strengths, fail and you die. Pretty basic, right?
The Surge will release on May 16 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. The official launch trailer is below.
- My Dream Interactive Tried to Throw a GDC Party, But Everyone was More Interested in the Venue than AllMine - March 24, 2018
- The Atari VCS Console will Run Linux OS to Keep that Atari Homebrew Feel - March 24, 2018
- The Truth About Video Games and Violence According to Science - March 24, 2018
- The Elder Scrolls Online is Going to the Summerset Isles - March 24, 2018
- Atari Film Producers Announce the Bushnell Token Cryptocurrency - March 24, 2018