The third episode of STARZ fantasy Gods filled drama American Gods hasn’t even aired yet, but the cable network has officially ordered a second season.
“Bryan Fuller, Michael Green and Neil Gaiman have evolved the art form of television narratively, structurally and graphically with American Gods, and we’re thrilled to be working again with these artists as they continue to build the worlds and wars of the gods,” Starz programming president Carmi Zlotnik said today.
Bryan Fuller has masterfully adapted the Neil Gaiman novel for television using bloody visuals, brilliant casting, and angry monologues to bring the characters to life. The second episode of season 1 contains one of the most seething deliveries of dialog seen on television in a looooong time. Orlando Jones as Mr. Nancy (who is actually spider trickster god Anansi) while talking to chained slaves in the hold of a ship steals the season with his performance, and the words are chilling as they are heartbreaking.
“American Gods has been a ground-breaking series born out of belief and it’s thrilling to be partnered with Starz to continue this ambitious story,” added FremantleMedia North America’s co-CEO Craig Cegielski. “Neil Gaiman, Bryan Fuller and Michael Green have ignited a conversation through cinematic magic, presented through a diverse ensemble of actors that continue to keep us engaged and inspired.”
It was already announced by Gaiman that the series ender will be drastically different than the book, which of course sparked some debate about how far into the future of the characters we’ll get with the show.
American Gods airs on STARZ on Sunday nights.
- Whisky All Around, Deadwood Movie Script IS Finished, "Thrilling And Heartbreaking"
- American Gods Is Bloody And Beautiful, The Bone Orchard Review
- “What Might I Call You?” Some Takeaways From American Gods' First Episode. The Bone Orchard
- Rinko Kikuchi Talks Westworld S2E5, “Akane No Mai” - May 27, 2018
- Star Wars IX Casting Rumors of [SPOILER] May Not Be Rumor Thanks To ‘Solo’ - May 26, 2018
- The Expanse Picked Up by Amazon Studios for 4th Season - May 26, 2018
- The Toys That Made Us Season 2, Episode 1 Talks Star Trek - May 25, 2018
- Bidding War Ends- Bond 25 Lands at Universal Pictures - May 24, 2018