The Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 team roster was always going to expand — because that’s just what happens in sequels. The original team was a bit of a sausage fest, so no one was really that surprised when they announced Mantis would be joining the team.
However, Mantis usually has green skin in the comics — meaning that on a visual level, she would look very similar to Gamora. The Guardians movies are very high-contrast with distinct character designs, which makes each member easy to tell apart from the others. So they gave Mantis, played by actress Pom Klementieff, a lighter skin tone.
But early concept art for the character from Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: The Art of the Movie, posted by Comic Book News, show a more comic-accurate look to the character — check it out below.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is in theaters now.
- Woody Harrelson in Talks to Join Venom - December 13, 2017
- [SPOILER-FREE] Star Wars: The Last Jedi Review: Moving, Unexpected, and Breathtaking - December 12, 2017
- Hugh Jackman Comments on the Potential Disney-Fox Merger - December 11, 2017
- New Story Details Revealed for New Mutants - December 11, 2017
- The Post Review: A Frighteningly Relevant Film About the Importance of a Free Press - December 6, 2017