The Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 team roster was always going to expand — because that’s just what happens in sequels. The original team was a bit of a sausage fest, so no one was really that surprised when they announced Mantis would be joining the team.
However, Mantis usually has green skin in the comics — meaning that on a visual level, she would look very similar to Gamora. The Guardians movies are very high-contrast with distinct character designs, which makes each member easy to tell apart from the others. So they gave Mantis, played by actress Pom Klementieff, a lighter skin tone.
But early concept art for the character from Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: The Art of the Movie, posted by Comic Book News, show a more comic-accurate look to the character — check it out below.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is in theaters now.
- [SPOILERS] The Defenders Showrunner Talks Connections To Previous Series - August 20, 2017
- How [SPOILER] Became The Villain Of The Defenders - August 20, 2017
- Godzilla Vs. Kong Will Be A “Massive Monster Brawl” - August 20, 2017
- The People Behind The Uncharted Movie Want It To Be The Next Indiana Jones - August 20, 2017
- Adam Wingard Says There Will Be A Clear Winner In ‘Godzilla Vs. Kong’ - August 20, 2017