The Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 team roster was always going to expand — because that’s just what happens in sequels. The original team was a bit of a sausage fest, so no one was really that surprised when they announced Mantis would be joining the team.
However, Mantis usually has green skin in the comics — meaning that on a visual level, she would look very similar to Gamora. The Guardians movies are very high-contrast with distinct character designs, which makes each member easy to tell apart from the others. So they gave Mantis, played by actress Pom Klementieff, a lighter skin tone.
But early concept art for the character from Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2: The Art of the Movie, posted by Comic Book News, show a more comic-accurate look to the character — check it out below.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is in theaters now.
- Tiffany Haddish Joins the Cast of The LEGO Movie 2 - March 23, 2018
- Justice League Costume Designer Explains Why They Didn’t Use the Black Suit - March 23, 2018
- Don Cheadle Talks War Machine’s State of Mind in Avengers: Infinity War - March 23, 2018
- Go Inside Aech’s Garage in These New Ready Player One Images - March 23, 2018
- 9 New Images from Ready Player One Tease the OASIS - March 23, 2018