It’s been a long-standing complaint within the comic book industry that so-called “ancillary” comic book creators are credit-deprived or importance-diminished.
In recent years we’ve seen comic writers, pencillers and inkers get cover credit, then colourists, and now flatters and letterers starting slowly to join them. Next up, I understand, are editors.
But when launching comics at prestigious events, most companies focus on the writer or the penciller.
But not Aspen, who today launched the new comic No World, featured previously on this site by dint of including a trans character of a fashion not seen in superhero comics previously, at Ru Paul’s Drag Con at the Los Angeles Convention Center
But did they send the writer, Scott Lobdell? No. The artist, Jordan Gunderson? No. The colourist Juancho? No. They sent, the letterer, Zen. With a press release saying;
This weekend at RuPaul’s Drag Con 2017 taking place at the Los Angeles Convention Center, Aspen Comics letterer Zen (Michael Turner’s Fathom and Soulfire) will be appearing both days, April 29th and 30th exclusively at Table 842.
Aspen’s Comics’ No World #1 debuted this week in comic book stores and will also be available at Zen’s table all weekend long at Drag Con.
And there certainly seems to be a fair few other comic creators at the show. In an hour’s time we have this panel…
Meet today’s most exciting and talented comic book writers and Illustrators as they share the secrets of the trade. Moderated by Drew Droege. Panelists: Marc Andreyko (DC Comics), Mariko Tamaki (Marvel, DC Comics), MariNaomi (Graphic Novels), Sina Grace (Marvel, X-Men, Walking Dead), and Terry Blas (Comic Illustrator).
Do let me know if you fancy covering it for Bleeding Cool! And there are plenty of other comic creators and publishers along for the ride…
— Blas DragConB12 (@TerryBlas) April 28, 2017
- Now Other Spider-Man Andrew Garfield Lip-Syncs For His Life
- Image Comics Continues to Make Hit-Girl and Kick-Ass Returnable - April 24, 2018
- Portsmouth Comic Con on Free Comic Book Day - April 24, 2018
- After Seeing Infinity War – Why Not Draw It? Live Drawing with Cosplay Models in London on Friday Night - April 24, 2018
- Speculators Hoovering Up BLACK on eBay – When They Can Find It - April 23, 2018
- BLACK, the Superhero Comic Where Only Black People Get Superpowers, to Be a Film Franchise from Studio 8 - April 23, 2018