Either someone in the research department of Ellen DeGeneres‘ daytime talk show was playing a nasty prank on host, or they made a truly epic mistake last week. During a bit where DeGeneres asks the audience to decide whether a name on the screen belongs to a Coachella band or a professional wrestler, the name in question was Pegasus Kid.
— Brian The Guppie (@briantheguppie) April 15, 2017
Unfortunately, Pegasus Kid was the pro wrestling name of Chris Benoit when he wrestled in Japan. A multi-time world champion with a 22 year career, Benoit is most famous for murdering his wife and child before killing himself in 2007. Depression and the effects of multiple concussions on his brain likely played a part in the murders.
One of pro wrestling’s biggest scandals, Benoit’s name is never even spoken by WWE, so it was jarring to see him used in a comedy bit on the show, even if Ellen probably had no idea who Pegasus Kid really was.
- British Snack Company Walkers Apologizes After Featuring Pro Wrestling Murderer Chris Benoit In Crisps Ad
- What Is Black Mask Hiding In No Angel #4? Plus: Previews Of The Dregs #4 And The Forevers #4 - June 25, 2017
- Amy Pascal Now Claims She Meant Spider-Man Spinoffs Were In Marvel Comics Universe, Not Marvel Cinematic Universe - June 25, 2017
- Transformers: The Last Knight Made $60 Million More In China Than It Did In The U.S. - June 25, 2017
- IDW Is Making A Legend Of Korra Pro Bending Tabletop Game, More LoK Games To Come - June 25, 2017
- Daniel Bryan Wants To Fight Cody Rhodes For The Ring Of Honor Title In September, 2018 - June 25, 2017