I’ve stated why, by logic alone, Olivia Colman could be frontrunner to play The Doctor after Peter Capaldi steps away from the role. But logic and casting are rare bedfellows…
But these are the three names I’ve heard most mentioned in consideration for the role, playing The Doctor after Peter Capaldi steps down this year, with new showrunner Chris Chibnall.
Kris Marshall. The bookies closed bets on casting over him after they received several large bets from different people. This kind of behaviour, in the past, suggested a well-sourced leak strong enough for certain connected people to place five figure sums. This is also the reason that bookies had to close the books over Peter Capaldi last time around. After giving up his starring role in Death In Paradise, filmed in the Caribbean Islands, to return home, this would fit in with his schedule.
Richard Rankin. The big rumour is that it’s someone from the film The Replacement. And Cardiff gossip is that Rankin, recently of Outlander, would certainly fit the bill. Is he just too dashing and good looking to play the Doctor? No offence Kris.
Rudi Dharmalingam. A theatrical actor, he did appear in Dinosaurs On A Spaceship, a Chibisode of Doctor Who. And also a focus of Cardiff gossipers. Was this tweet too dismissive?
This is how rumours start https://t.co/JoAmukPCKq
— Rudi Dharmalingam (@mrdharmalingam) February 28, 2017
But the real answer? As ever, probably none of them. But there are other character appearance rumours out there for this series – even after the confirmation that John Simms is returning as The Master alongside Michelle Gomez in a Two Masters story.
- Entering The Spill Zone With Scott Westerfeld Ahead Of Free Comic Book Day - April 29, 2017
- Ten Thoughts About Doctor Who: On Thin Ice – From Black Jesus To Punching Nazis - April 29, 2017
- Comic Creators At Ru Paul’s Drag Con, In Los Angeles This Weekend - April 29, 2017
- Separated At Birth – Moonstruck And Brave Chef Brianna? - April 29, 2017
- No, Calgary, Wonder Woman Isn’t Published By Marvel Comics… - April 29, 2017