Netflix has released a set of photos from their upcoming wrestling drama GLOW, fictionalized story about real-life 1980s women’s pro wrestling organization Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling. Though the characters will be based on wrestlers from the original promotion, it doesn’t appear that any of the wrestlers’ real names are being used. Alison Brie stars as a character named Ruth Wilder, a struggling actress looking to invigorate her career using pro wrestling. That was the goal of many of the wrestlers in the promotion, which originally ran four seasons from 1986 to 1990.
Though none of the wrestlers ended up with big name careers in Hollywood, several did have careers in wrestling after GLOW, most notably Lisa Moretti, who wrestled in GLOW under the name Tina Ferrari, and later in WWE as Ivory. Emily Dole, who wrestled as Mt. Fiji in the promotion, later played small roles in Hollywood including in the Pauly Shore film Son in Law, and was involved in a 1989 incident of police brutality where she was beaten by members of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department at a bridal shower while standing passively with her arms folded along with more than 30 family members. The incident was videotaped by a neighbor The department was accused of racism against the Samoan partygoers, and was found liable for a $23 million judgement. Sandra Margot, who wrestled as Tiffany Mellon in GLOW, later had a successful porn career under that name, as well as a single season reality show as a bounty hunter. Several other wrestlers also landed small roles in Hollywood productions after the show.
Check out the photos from the show below (via Deadline). In addition to Brie, GLOW stars Betty Gilpin, Marc Maron and former WWE wrestler Alex Riley, and it is executive produced by Jenji Kohan, creator of Orange is the New Black. It will premiere on June 23.
- WATCH: Betty Gilpin Talks GLOW Season 2
- National Geographic Casts Young Pablo Picasso For Anthology Series
- Netflix's GLOW Is The Best New Binge Worthy Series
- Mark Out For The First Full Trailer For Netflix's GLOW (Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling)
- Come On Feel The #GLOW With The Latest Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling Teaser From Netflix
- BOOM! Announces ‘Beneath the Dark Crystal,’ Another Sequel to the Jim Henson Classic - March 23, 2018
- Nom Pratt is writing a Young Adult Novel Based on John Allison’s ‘Giant Days’ - March 23, 2018
- Derek Laufman’s RuinWorld Goes Kaboom! - March 23, 2018
- Remender and Bengal’s Death or Glory Gets a Racy Trailer - March 23, 2018
- WWE’s Ultimate Deletion Gets an Epilogue - March 23, 2018