One of the great finds at Xbox’s Indie showcase during E3 last year was the dystopian We Happy Few by Compulsion Games. It markets itself as “A game of paranoia and survival, in a drugged-out, dystopian English city in 1964” and proceeds to be exactly that. It’s a game of paranoia and survival horror with a touch of absurdism thrown in, all blending with the social change and political upheaval of the 60s. So, it’s a pretty prime breeding ground for awesome, is what I’m saying.
The game is still in the works, though it has been an early access release since July 2016 while some of the game’s narrative is still being figured out. But that hasn’t stopped the ever-hungry Hollywood machine on it’s kick for adaptations, reboots, and sequels. Which means a movie version of We Happy Few is already on the way.
Variety is reporting that the film is “in the works with “Pitch Perfect” producer Gold Circle Entertainment. Videogame developer Compulsion Games has partnered with dj2 Entertainment on the project. Gold Circle’s Paul Brooks and dj2 Entertainment CEO Dmitri M. Johnson and Chief Content Officer Dan Jevons will produce the project with dj2’s Stephan Bugaj serving as executive producer.”
Which, yeah, I can see where this game seemed ripe for the movie-making. Still, things are in the early stages as the producers are looking around for writing talent to bring on board, and the game’s full release for Xbox One and Windows will likely be a make-or-break on the project.
Still, pretty awesome news for an indie project.
- Compulsion Games Releases a New Disturbing Trailer for We Happy Few
- We Happy Few Finally Gets Approval for Release in Australia
- We Happy Few Delayed Again While Still Overpriced On Early Access
- After Months Of Waiting, 'We Happy Few' Gets A 2018 Release Date
- Funko is Releasing a Line of Fortnite Collectibles Soon - July 18, 2018
- Epic Games Has Earned $1 Billion in Fortnite in-Game Purchases - July 18, 2018
- 505 Games Debuted an Animated Teaser for ‘Indivisible’ at Anime Expo - July 9, 2018
- The Halo Championship and Gears Pro Circuit are Teaming Up This Weekend - July 9, 2018
- Electronic Arts Acquires Indie Dev Studio Industrial Toys - July 9, 2018