Warner Bros TV has released this image showing Cress Williams in a Black Lightning costume by Laura Jean Shannon. A pilot is currently filming in Atlanta for the CW with Williams playing Jefferson Pierce and is being put together by Greg Berlanti, Salim Akil and Mara Brock Akil. Shannon hasn’t worked on the other other CW series, but she has worked on Iron Man and My Super Ex-Girlfriend.
Salim Akil had this to say about the character:
I knew way too much about the world as a young boy growing up in Richmond, Calif., I was no stranger to violence, death, hopelessness or the feeling that no one cared about what was happening in my life. Comics were a great way for me to escape. I was about 13 when Black Lightning was created, and finally there was a Black Super Hero that gave a damn about our neighborhood and our lives. Resurrecting him at a time in our society when a sense of hope is lacking…Black Lightning will be that hope. And in updating the suit, it will signal to a new generation that it’s time to harness and release our power, and become our own superheroes.
Whether this will become the fifth Arrowverse series on the CW remains to be seen.
- Marvel’s Luke Cage Season 2, Episode 11 Recap: The Creator - June 24, 2018
- Marvel’s Luke Cage Season 2, Episode 10 Recap: The Main Ingredient - June 23, 2018
- Rosario Dawson on Exploring if Claire Temple is Really Helping - June 23, 2018
- Theo Rossi on How There is Nothing Else Like Marvel’s Luke Cage on Television - June 23, 2018
- Mustafa Shakir on How Nyabinghi Music Helped Him Become Bushmaster - June 23, 2018