A new rumor making its way around the dirt sheets this week, first reported by Pro Wrestling Sheet and also backed up in the latest issue of Dave Meltzer’s Wrestling Observer Newsletter. According to the reports, WWE has been engaging in SECRET discussions with ROH owner Sinclair Broadcasting about purchasing the pro wrestling promotion. The deal would give WWE access to Ring of Honor’s tape library, which features valuable footage of the early careers of many of WWE’s current stars, which could be used to sell DVDs. Additionally, the deal would include bringing Ring of Honor’s weekly television show to the WWE Network.
However, Meltzer also speculates that WWE could be looking into the option in order to limit the options disgruntled WWE superstars have to find work outside WWE. With Ring of Honor out of the picture, TNA Wrestling would be the only major option in the United States, and, come on, it’s TNA — the company can’t go three months without having a major implosion. Nobody wrestles in TNA because they have other options. WWE has also been looking to expand in the United Kingdom, and even New Japan Pro Wrestling has recently rattled its sabers and threatening a Wrestle War in an attempt to warn WWE off invading Japan.
If WWE succeeded in purchasing all the promotions around the world where wrestlers can make a decent living outside of WWE, they would achieve their perceived longterm goal of rendering talent completely reliant on WWE, and as we all know, nothing makes a creative product more interesting than a complete lack of competition. Hopefully, the whole thing will turn out to be a swerve.
“The name on the contract does say McMahon… However, the contract reads Hornswaggle McMahon!”
- Rousey, Flair, Bryan, Lesnar, and Enzo Amore Top WWE Survivor Series Highlights - November 19, 2018
- Goodbye, Stan Lee [X-ual Healing 11-14-18] - November 18, 2018
- Ex-NYPD Cop Who Got Marvel’s Ike Perlmutter a Gun Permit Says He Received Movie Premiere Tickets at Bribery Trial - November 18, 2018
- Ending the Political Divide Between Liberals and Conservatives in Spider-Force #2 - November 17, 2018
- Stand Your Ground Laws Tested in Next Week’s Immortal Hulk #9 - November 17, 2018