Brian Fargo, the founder of Interplay and co-designer of the Wasteland series, told Eurogamer today that he plans to retire after Wasteland 3 ships in 2019. “I love this industry, but I’ve been at this since 1981…” he said in the interview. “I look at my friends, they have a lot more spare time than I do. It’s a very intense business. It’s all encompassing. It seems like I should relax for a little bit.”
Interplay is perhaps best known for the original Fallout series, as well as Baldur’s Gate and Descent. Fargo left Interplay in 2000, and founded InXile Entertainment in 2002. InXile’s had a pretty good year so far, their latest game Torment: Tides of Numenera received solid reception overall, and our very own Gavin Sheehan thought Torment was”hands down one of the best I’ve had the privilege of playing in the last few years.” And now, after a successful crowdfunding campaign on Fig Publishing, Wasteland 3 has been approved by the United States Securities and Exchanges Commission for market shares.
Fargo’s entire list of accomplishments is incredibly lengthy, but his contributions to the gaming industry have helped shape it into the creative force it is, with titles like Bard’s Tale, Wasteland, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and Line Rider.
It’s safe to say that Fargo has earned the chance for some down-time. As for inXile? “We don’t owe any external people any money. We don’t have any debt. The other shares are with some of the employees of the company. So as long as it continues doing good product it should be fine.”
Until then, he plans to focus on The Mage’s Tale, a VR spinoff in the Bard’s Tale universe, The Bard’s Tale IV which is slated for 2018, and Wasteland 3 due out in 2019.
We wish him all the best, and hope he makes it out to Machu Picchu sometime.
You can find the full interview with Fargo over on Eurogamer.
- A New Character & More In 'Torment: Tides Of Numenera' Latest Update Trailer
- Torment: Tides Of Numenera Is Getting A Major Update Which Will Provide Some Much Needed Console Support
- Final Fantasy 30-Year-Old Single Malt Scotch Exists, and You Need It - January 22, 2018
- Arena Net Donates Thousands to Guild Wars 2 Player After Her House Burns Down - January 22, 2018
- Rocket League to get Cross-Platform Party Support This Year - January 22, 2018
- Ubisoft has Detailed Far Cry 5’s PC Specs and Recommendations - January 22, 2018
- Peter Molyneux Reacts to Rumors of a New Fable Game - January 22, 2018