Composer Hans Zimmer felt the same way after Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice as many viewers felt; now that it’s over, he never wants anything to do with superhero films again. Unlike many, who were put off superhero films by watching Batman v. Superman, Zimmer wrote the score for the film, which means he must have had to watch it multiple times, and it ultimately led him to announce his retirement from superhero films last year. Now, during a
therapy session interview with Inverse, Zimmer has finally come clean on how it made him feel.
“It just did my brain in to have written Christian Bale as Batman, and suddenly it’s Ben Affleck,” Zimmer said, describing the immense head pain caused by the film. “And it felt like I was betraying everything Christian had done.”
“I can’t quite shake that off,” Zimmer said, describing his difficulties with the movie. “For me, the Christian Bale character was always completely unresolved. It was always about that moment at the beginning of the first movie, where he sees his parents getting killed. It was basically arrested development. The Ben character is more middle-aged, he seems to be grumpy as hell but I didn’t feel the pain that I felt in Christian’s performance. And it was that pain that made be interested.”
Zimmer isn’t the only person involved in DC’s cinematic universe that was driven off superhero films by Ben Affleck’s Batman. Affleck himself gave up directing The Batman as well as writing The Batman, and Affleck’s performance as Batman may have even put Affleck off of playing Batman, according to rumors.
For Zimmer, just as with Affleck, it all comes down to the script.
“Ron Howard actually said something very smart to me,” Zimmer revealed. “He said, ‘Don’t say you will never do a superhero movie again, wait for somebody to turn up with an amazing script for a superhero movie.’ And I suppose that’s what I’m saying: Can I please have the amazing script?”
It would seem, in the case of The Batman, the answer is no.
- Fashion Files: Inspecting Batman's Justice League Costume In New Close-Up Pics [POLL]
- Chelsea Cain Returns to Comics to “Make Trouble” with New Image Series ‘Man-Eaters’ - June 19, 2018
- John Cena’s Losing Streak Continues as He Settles Lawsuit Over Ford GT - June 19, 2018
- John Cena Would Do Anything for Love and Nikki Bella… Yes, Even That - June 18, 2018
- Paige Assaulted, Body-Shamed by WWE Fan After Money in the Bank - June 18, 2018
- Women of Wrestling Coming to AXS TV in 2019 - June 18, 2018