Before he was President of the United States of America, Donald J. Trump was a wrestling superstar! Amongst several collaborations with pro wrestling giant WWE going back as far as two back-to-back Wrestlemania events held at Trump Plaza in Atlantic City in 1988 and 1889, Trump was a featured player at Wrestlemania 23, when he backed Bobby Lashley in a match against WWE owner Vince McMahon’s champion Umaga in the “Battle of the Billionaires,” with Trump and McMahon’s hair resting in the balance. McMahon would see his head shaved by Trump when Lashley won the match, and Trump would later be inducted into WWE’s Hall of Fame before going on to become the 45th President of the United States and the 1st President handpicked by Russia. Former WWE CEO Linda McMahon would also earn a cabinet position in Trump’s administration as head of the Small Business Administration.
But despite a growing wave of unease over Trump’s presidency, to put it mildly, Bobby Lashley has nothing but fond memories of the commander in chief.
“I think they dropped $250,000 onto the crowd when he walked out, his money song came on, Miss Universe and Miss America were down there,” Lashley said of the Wrestlemania match in an interview with the Daily Star. “It was a fiasco but it was amazing, the notoriety that he brought to it and the respect that we got from a lot of different places because of it.”
“I think it’s kinda funny that everybody is flipping the script now because at that time and the other times I’ve seen him do things on TV, he was the biggest celebrity or the biggest personality we had and everybody loved him,” Lashley, who as a wrestler and MMA fighter we should note has been hit in the head on more than one occasion. “But I guess as President, maybe he’s a little bit too brash for them. Not me though. I don’t mind him.”
Lashley, the current TNA Wrestling World Champion, will fight an unnamed opponent at MMA event Bellator 179 on May 19.
- Impact Wrestling Co-Founder Jerry Jarrett Shares His Steamy Jim Cornette/Hillary Clinton Fanfic - May 26, 2018
- The Gentleman: Darkness of the Void – Pandering Horror to the Unrepresented - May 26, 2018
- BOOM! Studios and Natalie Nourigat Want to Teach You How to Break Into Animation - May 25, 2018
- Image Offers Unsold C2E2 Analog #1 Variants Now That It’s Being Adapted for Film - May 25, 2018
- Walking Dead Collectible Sparks Racism Controversy at North Carolina Credit Union - May 25, 2018