Last week, Marvel Comics released a preview to the hip-hop variant cover to Spectacular Spider-Man #1 featuring an homage to Tupac.
Using his “thwipp” fingers to replicate Tupac’s cover pose.
Except in the original pose, Tupac gave a shout out to local California gangs at the time.
But Spider-Man’s version transforms it into a gang signal know as a Latin King crown, a shout out to one of the largest street gangs in the city of Chicago, responsible for a considerable amount of violence and crime in the city right now.
It’s a cute joke. But an unintended meaning means that not everyone might take it that way. Or, it could be quite the collectible…
Thanks to Bobarb.
- Kraven The Hunter Returns in March’s Amazing Spider-Man - December 14, 2018
- Now DC Comics Makes Border Town Back Issues Returnable - December 14, 2018
- Comixology Bestseller List, 14th December 2019 – An Annual Surprise - December 14, 2018
- Cambridge Analytica, the Sequel, in Drone Range of Parliament - December 14, 2018
- The Comic Shop Opens in Crawley, England, in Three Days Time - December 14, 2018