Announced at ComicsPRO, Diamond announce that 2016 saw an increase in overall comics and graphic novel sales of 0.3% over 2015.
Which, yes, is pretty tiny, and a below-inflation increase. You can look to the fall of Hastings, the increase in Marvel’s discounts for promotional reasons, only one comic going through the direct market to Loot Crate, the introduction of DC’s reduced $2.99 price point and other explanations if you wish.
Because at the same time, Diamond increased the amount of comics they were sending out by a million, a total of 99 million comics shipped in 2016, over 1% increase in comics (though that includes Marvel’s overships), and an increase in 2.1% of graphic novels.
And while there is much concern about closing of comic stores right now, Diamond’s account numbers, the amount of people who order from Diamond, increased by 2.5%.
- Ch-Ch-Changes To Blue Beetle And Hellblazer… - March 29, 2017
- Ghostbusters 101, Crossing The 1984 And 2017 Streams, Sells Out – Including One Copy To Paul Feig - March 29, 2017
- Gerard Way’s Doom Patrol Cancelled After #6… For Now - March 29, 2017
- DC Comics To Publish Two Free Wonder Woman Day Comics For June 3rd - March 29, 2017
- 29 DC Comics Covers You May Or May Not Have Seen – Lee Bermejo, Jim Lee, Jenny Frison, And Many More - March 29, 2017