Announced at ComicsPRO, Diamond announce that 2016 saw an increase in overall comics and graphic novel sales of 0.3% over 2015.
Which, yes, is pretty tiny, and a below-inflation increase. You can look to the fall of Hastings, the increase in Marvel’s discounts for promotional reasons, only one comic going through the direct market to Loot Crate, the introduction of DC’s reduced $2.99 price point and other explanations if you wish.
Because at the same time, Diamond increased the amount of comics they were sending out by a million, a total of 99 million comics shipped in 2016, over 1% increase in comics (though that includes Marvel’s overships), and an increase in 2.1% of graphic novels.
And while there is much concern about closing of comic stores right now, Diamond’s account numbers, the amount of people who order from Diamond, increased by 2.5%.
- Are We Getting an Original Unity Omnibus from Valiant Entertainment? - January 21, 2018
- 24-Page Preview of Z-People #1, Another of Sitcomics’ 64-Page $3.99 Comics - January 21, 2018
- More from Glenat’s Conan the Barbarian Series Starting This Year - January 21, 2018
- Hannah Blumenreich’s Official Free Comic Book Day 2018 Poster - January 21, 2018
- Jeepers Creepers by Marc Andreyko and Kewber Baal, from Dynamite in April - January 21, 2018