Individuals all across the United States and beyond chimed in Saturday with their reactions against Mr. Trump’s executive order on immigration and travel ban. One person who added their voice to the outcry was Netflix’s CEO Reed Hastings, who joined other tech-industry leaders in their disapproval but did so more directly and candidly via his Facebook wall:
Google has also recalled its employees from abroad in an effort to get them back onto U.S. soil before the order had gone into effect. An internal memo sent by CEO Sundar Pichai indicated that nearly 200 employees would be impacted directly by the ban. Their official statement read:
We’re concerned about the impact of this order and any proposals that could impose restrictions on Googlers and their families, or that create barriers to bringing great talent to the U.S. We’ll continue to make our views on these issues known to leaders in Washington and elsewhere.
Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, and Uber have also expressed their reservations about the edict.
Trump’s order threw uncertainty at airports around the world as travelers who had been approved visas are being detained at airports or refused boarding. Protests opposing the ban erupted at airports across the country, and later in the afternoon a federal judge in New York blocked deportations nationwide of those currently being detained.
ACLU lawyers had raced to New York’s JFK airport to work in realtime filing writs of Habeas Corpus on behalf of two detained individuals, but the ruling applied to all currently impacted travelers.
- 19 Dead, Around Injured In Explosion At Ariana Grande Concert At Manchester Arena, Treated As A Terrorist Incident - May 22, 2017
- Review: Finally, The Return Of Twin Peaks, With All Of The Wonderful Frustration That Goes With It - May 22, 2017
- Recapping American Gods Episode 4, Git Gone: “There’s Nothing To Believe. Trust Me. I’ve Looked.” - May 21, 2017
- We’ll Be Live-Blogging The Twin Peaks Premiere - May 21, 2017
- Pirates Of The Caribbean 5 Was Headed Towards A Female Villain, Until Johnny Depp Squashed It - May 21, 2017