Yesterday, Marvel Entertainment set the hearts of the entertainment media a’flutter with the announcement that… they’d be making an announcement tomorrow. Suspiciously, video game maker Square Enix were also teasing an announcement for the same exact time. Well, tomorrow has come, so what are these announcements, and do they have anything to do with each other?
One minute late, at 10:01AM EST, Marvel Entertainment tweeted a teaser trailer for an Avengers project possibly called #Reassemble with Square Enix. Crystal Dynamics (Rise of the Tomb Raider) and Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex: Mankind Divided) will be working on the project. The game is part of a multi-year, multi-game deal between Marvel and Square. More information on this game and future games will be announced in 2018.
The trailer shows a pair of glasses appearing to belong to Bruce Banner, The Hulk, plus Thor’s hammer, Ironman’s glove, and Captain America’s shield laying in rubble. A narrator says, “They say the time of heroes is over. That if you’re different, you’re dangerous. But I know the truth. The world will always need heroes. We just need to reassemble them.” Then an Avengers logo appears, followed by the word #REASSEMBLE. Is that the name of the game?
Shortly after the tweet, Marvel posted the trailer to YouTube, along with more information:
Marvel Entertainment and Square Enix announced today a multi-year, multi-game partnership, leading with the reveal of The Avengers project. This newly established partnership pairs the creative minds at Marvel and Square Enix for one of the most powerful alliances in interactive entertainment.
A game based on beloved Marvel heroes, The Avengers project is being crafted by Crystal Dynamics – longtime developers of the award winning Tomb Raider series – in collaboration with lauded Deus Ex developer Eidos-Montréal.
The Avengers project is being designed for gamers worldwide and will be packed with all the characters, environments, and iconic moments that have thrilled longtime fans of the franchise. Featuring a completely original story, it will introduce a universe gamers can play in for years to come. More details on The Avengers project and other games will be announced in 2018.
Watch the trailer below:
- Marvel Heroes Omega Closed Beta Begins Today - On PS4 Only
- Comcast Drops Out of Fox Bidding War as Humanity Marches Towards Bold Future of Few Corporations Owning Everything Forever - July 19, 2018
- DC Announces New DC Ink and DC Zoom Comics by Louise Simonson, Marieke Nijkamp, Sarah Kuhn, and More! - July 19, 2018
- Tom King Sketching at San Diego Comic-Con - July 19, 2018
- ComiXology Debuts 2nd Wave of Originals from Humphries, Firmansyah, Seeley, Norton, Kearney, Nicholson, Visaggio, Vaughn, Sable, Donaldson, Trotman, Reed, Doolin, McDonald, and Crook - July 18, 2018
- Oni to Publish New Scott Pilgrim Collections for 15th Anniversary - July 18, 2018