Superman is getting a new costume redesign. Again. And, as has been traditional (since 2011 at least), he doesn’t have the red shorts. The trunks. The underpants. Whatever you want to call them. Modeled on a strongman’s costume in the nineteen thirties, they have in recent decades been described as “wearing underpants over your trousers” and have been a source of ribaldry.
So even the recent DC Rebirth that brought back certain discarded aspects of the DC Universe mythos, didn’t extend that to include the red trunks. Not even in the Pre-52 version of the character
Some people have been up in arms about this, as if it is a crime against humanity, Indeed, Dan DiDio, co-publisher of DC Comics, was targeted with messages such at this on Facebook;
Along with this kind of imagery,
It’s not every day you are basically accused of being a Nazi. Oh wait, sorry, this is the internet, it is every day. And this fellow was vociferous – until he was banned.
But in his absence Babylon 5 creator and writer of the Superman “Grounded” arc, J Michael Straczynski was good at impersonations…
- J. Scott Campbell Art for Upcoming X-Men Black Magneto Comic to Be Announced at San Diego - July 16, 2018
- Hellboy Celebrates 25 Years of San Diego Comic-Cons - July 16, 2018
- Valiant Fans Express Financial Worries Over Chinese Owners DMG Entertainment - July 16, 2018
- Duncan Jones’s Comic Book Movie Confirmed: Rogue Trooper of 2000AD - July 16, 2018
- Amazon Prime Day Hits the UK – Here Are Some Deals to Keep Your Eye On - July 16, 2018