I’m not sure where the original idea came from to re-imagine the DC Universe as a series of World War II-era pinups, but the results have been very popular. When I was out and about yesterday hitting a coupe store to support #BoostYourLCS, I picked up a copy of The Art of DC Comics Bombshells. The statues, covers and comic series are based largely on the designs of artist Ant Luccia and has been one of their best selling lines since it’s debut back in 2013. Over the years, dozens of male and female DC characters have been pulled into the line and given the pinup make over, but I don’t think you can really get a perspective of just how much has gone into this line until you get a look at this book.
This 200-page, hardcover collection shows the early design stages with multiple variations through completion of many of these now iconic designs. Everything from Wonder Woman’s take on Rosie the Riveter to Sinestro done up in a zoot suit. And getting to see the unused variations is really interesting. One of the unused Mera designs looks a lot like what is now the Aquaman statue… sailor hat on, saluting with one hand and holding the trident in the other. Only the face he has no shirt and his pants are green are the differences.
This is a really nice, well put together book and makes a nice coffee table piece. Folks who only know the DC heroes tangentially will still be drawn to the pinup designs and homages to classic posters of the past.
The pages below are from the book and show the design steps for Supergirl and Black Canary. Sculpts by Sam Greenwell and Tim Miller. The book is full of pages like this. Got buy your local comic shop and check one out.
- Valiant Teases New Icons With Felipe Massafera - February 20, 2017
- New Atari Comics From Dynamite Starts With Swordquest - February 20, 2017
- Mr. Mxyzptlk Comes To National City In Supergirl Sneak Peeks - February 20, 2017
- Kieron Gillen To Write James Bond: Service, An Over-Sized Comic Book Special, With Antonio Fuso - February 20, 2017
- Bill Sienkiewicz Talks David Haller And The Legion TV Series - February 19, 2017