I was talking with a comic publisher the other day about “P. T. Barnuming” something. That’s basically making something great by repeatedly telling everyone it’s great. A While back I pointed out how odd it was for DC to release their own top 10 moments of 2016 and include the yet to be released Justice League vs Suicide Squad. That was a case of P.T. Barnuming. It’s one thing if an outside source like a comic media site or a fan blogger posts, then we know it’s their opinion or if there is a chart based on sales, etc. But when a company just comes out and says “these are our greatest hits”… it comes across like Golden Earring doing a greatest hits album. Other than Radar Love and Twilight Zone, the rest of the choices are questionable.
And now Marvel has rolled out their list of the top 10 superheroes of 2016. And to no surprise, the characters picked all tie into either their big events or upcoming television / movie properties. But at the end of the video, they point out that the list was, “Ranked by Marvel.com’s editorial and social teams on their overall influence and importance in comics created during 2016”. So here are Marvels top 10 superheroes of 2016…
- One More Thing: Questions About The Flash, Marvel’s Jessica Jones, and More - March 17, 2018
- Krypton Season 1: The Symbol You Know - March 17, 2018
- Martin Freeman Says Sherlock Isn’t Fun Anymore - March 17, 2018
- Black Lightning Season 1: What is the A.S.A. that Gambi was Talking About? - March 17, 2018
- Agents of SHIELD Season 5, Episode 13 Recap: Principia - March 17, 2018