Malcolm Merlyn, The Dark Archer, first appeared in Justice League of America #94 in 1971, created by writer Mike Friedrich and artists Neal Adams and Dick Dillin. Antagonist to Green Arrow, he was a freelance assassin. He is portrayed in the TV series Arrow by John Barrowman and he and Carole Barrowman have written the DC comic Arrow: The Dark Archer drawn by Daniel Sampere.
But in the DC Universe titles, Malcolm Meryln has been out of the picture. Instead the comic has featured his son Tommy Merlyn, to match the younger Oliver Queen seen in the comic in recent years. Wueen’s best friend when young, he became a mercenary.
Well, in this week’s new Green Arrow, Queen has been chasing a Dark Archer, posing as himself.
And a familiar face behind the hood. Well, familiar-ish. So no, not Tommy Meryln…
…or John Barrowman…
A member of the League of Assassins, he has been hired by the Ninth Circle to tarnish the Green Arrow’s reputation… and it worked. Another sign towards how the comics and the DCU are fitting closer together thanks to DC Rebirth?
- Tomorrow, Bill Sienkiewicz Pretends to Be Esad Ribic - November 20, 2018
- Aspen Teases the Return of Damsels In Excess in February 2019 Solicits - November 20, 2018
- Preview: Zoe Quinn and Robbi Rodriguez’ Goddess Mode - November 20, 2018
- So… How Are You Meant To Count Avengers Issue Numbers Now? - November 20, 2018
- Our First Look at Mark MIllar and Simone Bianchi’s Sharkey The Bounty Hunter for Netflix – With Covers From Frank Quitely and Matteo Scalera - November 20, 2018