Malcolm Merlyn, The Dark Archer, first appeared in Justice League of America #94 in 1971, created by writer Mike Friedrich and artists Neal Adams and Dick Dillin. Antagonist to Green Arrow, he was a freelance assassin. He is portrayed in the TV series Arrow by John Barrowman and he and Carole Barrowman have written the DC comic Arrow: The Dark Archer drawn by Daniel Sampere.
But in the DC Universe titles, Malcolm Meryln has been out of the picture. Instead the comic has featured his son Tommy Merlyn, to match the younger Oliver Queen seen in the comic in recent years. Wueen’s best friend when young, he became a mercenary.
Well, in this week’s new Green Arrow, Queen has been chasing a Dark Archer, posing as himself.
And a familiar face behind the hood. Well, familiar-ish. So no, not Tommy Meryln…
…or John Barrowman…
A member of the League of Assassins, he has been hired by the Ninth Circle to tarnish the Green Arrow’s reputation… and it worked. Another sign towards how the comics and the DCU are fitting closer together thanks to DC Rebirth?
- Thunderbolt and Lightning, Very, Very Frightening at MCM London Comic Con Tonight - May 26, 2018
- What Might Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp’s Green Lantern Be Like? - May 26, 2018
- Tom Ellis Sang to #SaveLucifer at MCM London Comic Con (VIDEO) - May 26, 2018
- 63 Cosplay Pics from MCM London Comic Con 2018 - May 26, 2018
- Comic Store in Your Future: The Return of Diamond’s Secret Shopper - May 26, 2018