Dynamite Entertainment has landed the rights to make John Wick comics. EW.com is reporting that the publisher has made a deal with Lionsgate to bring the former hitman to the comic book page.
A surprise hit in 2014, John Wick starred Keanu Reeves as a retired hitman who returned to the killing game to get revenge over the death of his dog and the theft of his car. A sequel, John Wick: Chapter 2 will be coming out February 10, 2017.
“John Wick was such an exciting film, mixing martial arts action with snappy dialogue and smart writing,” Dynamite CEO Nick Barrucci said in a statement. “As the credits rolled, you were left wanting more, and it was obvious they had the makings of a franchise. We were quick to pursue the opportunity to develop a comic book series, and are thrilled to have been granted the rights to tell all-new stories with the character!”
The comics will expand on the film franchise rather than just adapt the movies. No released date or creative team has been announced, but concept sketches by Giovanni Valletta are shown below.
The first John Wick was an insanely fast past, shoot-em up that had just enough heart and characterization to be really good. An obvious choice for a comic adaptation. One of the directors of the film, David Leitch, has been tapped to do the second Deadpool movie…
- One More Thing: Questions About The Flash, Marvel’s Jessica Jones, and More - March 17, 2018
- Krypton Season 1: The Symbol You Know - March 17, 2018
- Martin Freeman Says Sherlock Isn’t Fun Anymore - March 17, 2018
- Black Lightning Season 1: What is the A.S.A. that Gambi was Talking About? - March 17, 2018
- Agents of SHIELD Season 5, Episode 13 Recap: Principia - March 17, 2018