Dynamite Entertainment has landed the rights to make John Wick comics. EW.com is reporting that the publisher has made a deal with Lionsgate to bring the former hitman to the comic book page.
A surprise hit in 2014, John Wick starred Keanu Reeves as a retired hitman who returned to the killing game to get revenge over the death of his dog and the theft of his car. A sequel, John Wick: Chapter 2 will be coming out February 10, 2017.
“John Wick was such an exciting film, mixing martial arts action with snappy dialogue and smart writing,” Dynamite CEO Nick Barrucci said in a statement. “As the credits rolled, you were left wanting more, and it was obvious they had the makings of a franchise. We were quick to pursue the opportunity to develop a comic book series, and are thrilled to have been granted the rights to tell all-new stories with the character!”
The comics will expand on the film franchise rather than just adapt the movies. No released date or creative team has been announced, but concept sketches by Giovanni Valletta are shown below.
The first John Wick was an insanely fast past, shoot-em up that had just enough heart and characterization to be really good. An obvious choice for a comic adaptation. One of the directors of the film, David Leitch, has been tapped to do the second Deadpool movie…
- Marvel’s Luke Cage Season 2, Episode 13 Recap: They Reminisce Over You - June 24, 2018
- Marvel’s Luke Cage Season 2, Episode 12 Recap: Can’t Front On Me - June 24, 2018
- Marvel’s Luke Cage Season 2, Episode 11 Recap: The Creator - June 24, 2018
- Marvel’s Luke Cage Season 2, Episode 10 Recap: The Main Ingredient - June 23, 2018
- Rosario Dawson on Exploring if Claire Temple is Really Helping - June 23, 2018