As reported earlier this week, Neo-Nazis were planning on boycotting Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and I basically told them that they shouldn’t let the door hit them on the way out. It appears that it has translated into a hashtag now, as #DumpStarWars has emerged. The Wrap got to interview star Riz Ahmed just as the hashtag was gaining some momentum and he was not impressed.
“What? That’s weird. I have no idea what they’re talking about,” he said. ““It is absolutely to be expected that people will project their anxieties and concerns … onto art. It’s also the role of art to reflect the times we live in. But this film wasn’t made to speak to this particular moment. This is a film that was written years ago, that was filmed over a year-and-a-half ago.”
Ahmed went on to point out “political turmoil” is not something that exists in one country. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is not here just to appeal to American audiences but a worldwide one and being upset with your government is something all people can relate to.
“Our hope is that this film isn’t just resonant now, but in 10 years from now. I don’t think the creators of this film are to be as petty and small-minded as to use something as big and all-embracing as ‘Star Wars’ to score kind of mean political points. I actually think that in this time that is so divided, a film like ‘Star Wars’ brings everyone together,” Ahmed added. “People that voted for all kinds of parties, of all kinds of sexual orientations, views and religions will go and see this film … We should celebrate and embrace that.”
Much like the Neo-Nazis this is once again people upset that the world isn’t catering to them anymore. In this case the people pitching a hissy fit aren’t able to self project on people that don’t look like them. They seem to be under the delusion that unless the character is a straight, white male then they can’t relate. The multiculturalism of the real world is too much for them to handle. Maybe they should go find a safe space.
- ‘Marvel’s Iron Fist’ Reviewed: An Imperfect Series And The Privilege Of Social Justice Outrage - March 22, 2017
- ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Reviewed: A Copy Of A Perfect Movie That Tries To Do Something Different And Falls Somewhat Flat - March 16, 2017
- Warner Bros. Wants Matthew Vaughn To Make Superman Fun Again In ‘Man Of Steel 2’ - March 13, 2017
- Another ‘Wonder Woman’ Teaser Ahead Of The New Trailer - March 10, 2017
- James Gunn Explains The Motivations Of Everyone In ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2’ - March 10, 2017