Last weekend, Amazing Spider-Man star Emma Stone hosted Saturday Night Live, resulting in sketches like this:
And resulting in Donald Trump tweets like this:
Just tried watching Saturday Night Live – unwatchable! Totally biased, not funny and the Baldwin impersonation just can't get any worse. Sad
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 4, 2016
Next week, WWE star John Cena hosts the show for the first time. Wrestlers don’t get to host SNL that often, at least not since the Attitude Era, or unless they’re The Rock, so it’s a pretty big deal for Cena to get the gig. From his performance in Trainwreck, it’s clear that Cena can be funny. And as Bleeding Cool reported last week, Cena has recently been cast to star in an upcoming comedy, The Pact.
Is this another sign of pro wrestling’s increasing pop culture relevance? Or is it another sign that Cena is on his way out of a wrestling career in an attempt to follow in the footsteps of The Rock? Maybe it’s both. Tune in on Saturday at 11:30PM Eastern and see for yourself.
- New GWAR OGN The Enormogantic Fail Revisits the Obliteration of Flab Quarv 7 - October 17, 2018
- R.I.P. ResurrXion? Weapon X Missing from Marvel’s January Solicits - October 16, 2018
- Finally, Chuck Austen’s Early X-Men Work Returns to Print at Marvel - October 16, 2018
- Is Ms. Marvel Cancelled? G. Willow Wilson Says It’s Just Taking a “Skip Month” - October 16, 2018
- Chuck Wendig’s Shadow of Vader Not Solicited for January… Has It Been Canceled Completely? - October 16, 2018