By Joe Glass, Bleeding Cool’s Senior Mutant Correspondent
Weapon X, which has now been revealed as being by Team Greg (i.e. Greg Pak and Greg Land), is perhaps the oddest of the ResurrXion Reveal Reactions I’ve had to write this week: because the book already feels drastically familiar.
Not in a bad way. But rather, it just feels like this book is known. And yet it isn’t.
For a good long while now, it seems that we have had to have one dark, violent and proactive X-Team on the books. This book will be it for ResurrXion. And it has the characters we’d kind of expect for such a series too, in Old Man Logan, Sabretooth, Warpath, Domino and Lady Deathstrike. This feels almost…nostalgic?
It feels like a book we’ve had before. But this time, we’ve got character combinations and iterations that are different.
Pak excels at emotional storytelling, and I daresay he can bring some fun emotional interactions and plots to the proceedings, so this book will at least be more than just explosions and constant dismemberment (though it is worth noting that four of the five team members are really good at dismembering).
The villain of this go around is the Weapon X Program, but a re-formed Weapon X that is now keen not to use and abuse mutants, or create super-weapons depending on the iteration of the Weapon Plus Program, but rather just outright eradicate them. And the leader behind this will be a mystery.
So hard to say with this one. It doesn’t seem bad as such, but very familiar. Not in a bad way, just…not in a new way? I, however, eagerly look forward to being wowed by something special and different.
- 2017 Television Countdown #4: The Steven Universe Accidental Racism Apology - December 31, 2017
- Doomsday Clock Speculation: Is Doctor Manhattan Posing as a DC Superhero? - December 29, 2017
- Eugenic #3 Review: The Horror Ends with a Look at the Horrors of Ignorance - December 27, 2017
- Well, Does Anyone Like the ‘Jubilee is a Vampire’ Idea? - December 27, 2017
- A Major Unexpected Return in Today’s Spider-Men II #5 - December 27, 2017