Next year, Washington, DC area will play host to BlerdCon.
We first heard about this in January after the word was registered for a trademark.
And in July it will be for real.
A three-day event will bring together fans of comic books, video games, anime, cosplay, and technology. With “blerd” short for “black nerd” organisers say that it
“is often used as a self-descriptive term for people of all colors within the minority community of geeks.”
And to that end,
we are expanding it’s meaning to encompass the far corners of diversity and inclusion that represents all that we love about nerd-dom.
Specifically they are trying to reflect how the audience has grown to include more Black, Latino, and Asian people, as well as women, the disabled, and LGBTQ. However
during this same period, conventions focusing on anime, comic books, sci-fi, gaming and cosplay have failed to incorporate proportional representation reflecting the growing audience of “minority nerds.”
BlerdCon aims to be the answer, providing a
fun, welcoming and inclusive space where people of all colors and backgrounds can see themselves represented in the mainstream and behind the scenes of the genre and community we all love.
It kicks off on Friday, June 30th to Sunday, July 2nd at Hyatt Crystal City, 2799 Jefferson Davis Highway, Arlington, VA 22202.
Tickets: Early Bird Pass: $45 – 3 Day Pass Regular Pass: $55 – 3 Day Pass At the Door Pass: $55
- Fantastic Four #9 and More Stolen from House Of Secrets in Burbank - May 20, 2018
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List – 20th May 2018 – ‘Readers Realized There Was No Wedding in the Wedding Special’ - May 20, 2018
- Bob Layton Just Discovered He Created a Character in Deadpool 2 - May 20, 2018
- The Rev Michael Curry Vs Princess Bride’s Peter Cook’s Royal Wedding Address (VIDEO) - May 20, 2018
- Lying In The Gutters – 20th May 2018 – Flamewars and Lawsuits - May 20, 2018