If you, like lots of people we’re sure, have always thought to yourself: “I really enjoyed that Seth Rogen Green Hornet movie, but I wish it would be darker and edgier,” then today’s news is going to make your day. According to Deadline, Paramount has acquired the rights to make another Green Hornet movie, and they’ll be rebooting the franchise to create a more modern, “bad ass” superhero for the 21st century.
According to the report, Paramount and Chernin Entertainment plan to “overhaul the image of Britt Reid into an edgy protagonist capable of being the catalyst for a new franchise.” Following in the footsteps of such cinematic masterpieces as Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice and Man of Steel, Gavin O’Connor will direct the new film with a screenplay to be written by Sean O’Keefe. The film will imbue the Green Hornet mythos with “the kind of existential struggles evident in some Marvel and DC Comics franchises based on solitary, misunderstood anti-heroes.”
“My intention is to bring a gravitas to The Green Hornet that wipes away the camp and kitsch of the previous iteration,” said O’Connor, who is really into Green Hornet, gushing for several paragraphs about it. “I want to re-mythologize The Green Hornet in a contemporary context, with an emphasis on story and character, while at the same time, incorporating themes that speak to my heart.”
“I think of this film as Batman upside down meets Bourne inside out by way of Chris Kyle [American Sniper],” O’Connor said. “Is he a savior or a destroyer? Britt made money doing bad things, but moving forward he’s making no money doing good things. He must realize his destiny as a protector and force of justice by becoming the last thing he thought he’d ever become: his father’s son. Which makes him a modern Hamlet.”
Well, okay then. The only question is whether Green Hornet will keep his name, or change it to Muted Gray Hornet to match the film’s Zack Snyder-esque aspirations. We’ll keep you updated.
- Ahead of Ultimate Deletion, Matt Hardy Seeks Advice from Giraffe to Defeat Bray Wyatt - March 17, 2018
- Nikki Bella vs Ronda Rousey at WrestleMania 35? One Superstar Likes the Idea (and It’s Nikki Bella) - March 17, 2018
- Roman Reigns Defeats Steroid Scandal to Earn Title Shot at WrestleMania - March 17, 2018
- Joe Quesada Draws 3 Versions of Daredevil for Daredevil #600 Retailer Exclusive Variants - March 17, 2018
- Former WWE Superstar Grandmaster Sexay Badly Beaten in Hotel Room Brawl with Chase Stevens - March 17, 2018