During the summer I got a chance to speak to both Robin Lord Taylor and Corey Michael Smith about their roles on Gotham and the friendship between Oswald Cobblepot and Edward Nygma. They were both excited about the possibilities of the two interacting more in the third season. Well, they are definitely interacting more as Nygma now works as Chief of Staff for Mayor Cobblepot and there seems to be some very strong feelings from the Penguin towards the Riddler.
Taylor was at the Rhode Island Comic Con over the weekend with Sean Pertwee and Clare Kramer where he addressed the relationship between Cobblepot and Nygma. The actor doesn’t feel that Oswald is necessarily gay, but rather is in an emotional state where after having both his parents die in his arms, he has become attached to the first person who has been there for him. In this case Edward. Taylor believes that whoever it was that stepped up, Barbara, Tabitha or Butch… he would have feelings for them as well. It’s the emotional support regardless of gender.
Taylor went on to address the people who say that they have no problem with Oswald being gay, but they are upset because it changes canon. To which the actor says, “That’s a bunch of horseshit.” He says you can’t say that unless you were equally upset that Joker killed the Waynes in the 1989 Batman film or that in Gotham Batman and Catwoman are growing up together… calling them out as homophobic otherwise.
- Moonstone Brings The Avenger: Double Feature to Stores This September - May 23, 2018
- The Flash Season 4: Mysterious Girl and Her Big Mistake - May 23, 2018
- The Flash Season 4: What Happened to the Season Finale Big Bad Tease? - May 23, 2018
- Captain Marvelous: Zachary Levi Joins Amazon Studios’ Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - May 23, 2018
- Supergirl Season 3: Kara and Mon-El Speed Off to Meet [Spoiler] - May 23, 2018