From 1993 to 2001, Joey Styles was the voice of Extreme Championship Wrestling, with his trademark shout of “Oh my god!” whenever the company’s hardcore wrestlers performed a particularly nasty piece of violence. But today, it’s Styles’ own Extreme comments that have thrust the 45-year-old wrestling legend back into the spotlight. At pro wrestling organization EVOLVE’s Evolve 72 PPV event last night, Styles told ring announcer Joanna Rose: “Joanna, you look great tonight. And if our next President were here tonight, he’d want to grab you by the…”
The comment, referencing Donald Trump’s infamous Access Hollywood comments about women, proved too much for promoter Gabe Sapolsky, who tweeted:
This marks the second job Styles has lost this year, having been dismissed from WWE in August, with no salacious reason given for the termination. Styles had been Vice President of Digital Media at the company since 2008, after a stint as commentator for WWE’s RAW program and its ill-fated ECW revival. Styles’ commentating can still be heard on Philadelphia-based sci-fi wrestling promotion Chikara’s events, at least as of press time.
- R.I.P. ResurrXion? Weapon X Missing from Marvel’s January Solicits - October 16, 2018
- Finally, Chuck Austen’s Early X-Men Work Returns to Print at Marvel - October 16, 2018
- Is Ms. Marvel Cancelled? G. Willow Wilson Says It’s Just Taking a “Skip Month” - October 16, 2018
- Chuck Wendig’s Shadow of Vader Not Solicited for January… Has It Been Canceled Completely? - October 16, 2018
- Stealth Crossover? Domino and Mr. and Mrs. X Both Visit the Mojoverse in January - October 16, 2018