Eddie Redmayne is a pretty flexible actor, who can do good guys and bad guys in equal spades. While he is about to be all charming and good in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, it seems he was up for one of the biggest villain roles in recent years.
Speaking to Uproxx, Redmayne revealed he was up for the role of Kylo Ren in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and spoke a little about the process of auditioning. He said:
So, I was going for, I think, for Adam Driver. They gave me like a Star Trekscene – or like something from Pride and Prejudice. It was one of those films. With films that top secret, they don’t give you the actual lines. So they give you a scene from Pride and Prejudice, but then they tell you you’re auditioning for the baddie. If you’re me, you then put some ridiculous voice on.
That was really a hilarious moment. Because it was Nina Gold, who I have to thank a lot because she’s cast me in several films. And she was just sitting there and I was trying again and again with different versions of my kind of “koohh paaaah” [Darth Vader breathing sound] voice. And after like ten shots she’s like, “You got anything else?” I was like, “No.”
I think Redmaybe would have been a fairly effective Ren all things told, but I also think he would have felt entirely different to Adam Driver in the role. I really liked Driver in the role though, so no complaints here.
- Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom Gets a Beautiful Launch Trailer - March 19, 2018
- Report Claims Next Assassin’s Creed Game is Going to Ancient Greece - March 19, 2018
- Burnout Paradise Tops UK Charts, Proving It Still Has Some Magic to Give - March 19, 2018
- LEGO The Incredibles Looks Like it is Happening Thanks to Retail Leak - March 19, 2018
- God of War Gets a New TV Spot Featuring Several Locations - March 19, 2018