Eddie Redmayne is a pretty flexible actor, who can do good guys and bad guys in equal spades. While he is about to be all charming and good in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, it seems he was up for one of the biggest villain roles in recent years.
Speaking to Uproxx, Redmayne revealed he was up for the role of Kylo Ren in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and spoke a little about the process of auditioning. He said:
So, I was going for, I think, for Adam Driver. They gave me like a Star Trekscene – or like something from Pride and Prejudice. It was one of those films. With films that top secret, they don’t give you the actual lines. So they give you a scene from Pride and Prejudice, but then they tell you you’re auditioning for the baddie. If you’re me, you then put some ridiculous voice on.
That was really a hilarious moment. Because it was Nina Gold, who I have to thank a lot because she’s cast me in several films. And she was just sitting there and I was trying again and again with different versions of my kind of “koohh paaaah” [Darth Vader breathing sound] voice. And after like ten shots she’s like, “You got anything else?” I was like, “No.”
I think Redmaybe would have been a fairly effective Ren all things told, but I also think he would have felt entirely different to Adam Driver in the role. I really liked Driver in the role though, so no complaints here.
- ‘Pokémon: Let’s Go’ Games Get a New Trailer Showing off Gyms, Traversal, and Pokémon Haircuts - July 13, 2018
- Remnant: From the Ashes is the New Co-Op Shooter From the Darksiders 3 Developer - July 13, 2018
- The Witcher Series Will Get Another Game, but It Won’t Be The Witcher 4 - July 12, 2018
- Doom Eternal Will See Its Gameplay Reveal Next Month - July 12, 2018
- Check Out Over 10 Minutes of Darksiders 3 Gameplay - July 12, 2018