Eddie Redmayne is a pretty flexible actor, who can do good guys and bad guys in equal spades. While he is about to be all charming and good in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, it seems he was up for one of the biggest villain roles in recent years.
Speaking to Uproxx, Redmayne revealed he was up for the role of Kylo Ren in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and spoke a little about the process of auditioning. He said:
So, I was going for, I think, for Adam Driver. They gave me like a Star Trekscene – or like something from Pride and Prejudice. It was one of those films. With films that top secret, they don’t give you the actual lines. So they give you a scene from Pride and Prejudice, but then they tell you you’re auditioning for the baddie. If you’re me, you then put some ridiculous voice on.
That was really a hilarious moment. Because it was Nina Gold, who I have to thank a lot because she’s cast me in several films. And she was just sitting there and I was trying again and again with different versions of my kind of “koohh paaaah” [Darth Vader breathing sound] voice. And after like ten shots she’s like, “You got anything else?” I was like, “No.”
I think Redmaybe would have been a fairly effective Ren all things told, but I also think he would have felt entirely different to Adam Driver in the role. I really liked Driver in the role though, so no complaints here.
- PUBG Looks to be Bringing Halloween Content to the Game - October 17, 2018
- New SoulCalibur 6 Video Teaches You The Basics - October 16, 2018
- Breath of the Wild Style Open World Pokemon Game Possibly “Still on the Cards” - October 16, 2018
- Destiny 2 Glitch Could Confirm Next Expansion Location - October 15, 2018
- Pokemon Go Still Surging as Game Makes $84 Million in September - October 15, 2018