Play of the Game is one of my favorite features of Overwatch. It’s a really cool highlight system that is just so much fun to watch at the end of a match (provided you won.) However, it is hard to say it always gets it right though, focusing a lot on kills and ults, rather than great play.
That isn’t lost on Blizzard either. Speaking to Kotaku at BlizzCon, lead hero designer Geoff Goodmam explained there is some sort of ‘Play of the Game’ revamp coming. He said:
There’s a plan to do what we’re calling Play of the Game 2.0. It’s been on the books for a little while. It’s just a matter of prioritising everything. We have a lot of really cool ideas. We want to do a lot with the camera work. We have ideas for cooperative Play of the Games. Because what we have right now, is Zarya could ult, and then Genji gets the credit. And that’s like, ‘Come on!’
So we want to highlight the combo play itself, to show both,” he added. “There’s some tricky things there, like how do we handle Play of the Game intros, and how do we decide who gets credit.
As much as I will miss my Torbjorn Play of the Games where I’m just walking back from the respawn point as my turret gathers kills, a robust improvement to the feature could go a long way.
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake is Still in Full Development Despite Not Being at E3 - June 15, 2018
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Announced and it Brings Every Fighter Ever from the Series to the Game - June 12, 2018
- Super Mario Party Makes its Debut on the Nintendo Switch This Year - June 12, 2018
- Death Stranding E3 Trailer Shows Off Our First Glimpse of Gameplay - June 11, 2018
- Trials Rising Brings the Motorcycle Title Back for More Stunts Than Ever - June 11, 2018