The live action Beauty and the Beast is going to be a pretty big deal when it releases.The animated version is one of the most popular in Disney’s back catalogue, and many will want to see its complex design realised.
It will be making some changes though. In their big reveal in Entertainment Weekly yesterday, there was a quote from Emma Watson about how Belle’s history has seen a bit of re-do. She explained:
In the animated movie, it’s her father who is the inventor, and we actually co-opted that for Belle. I was like, ‘Well, there was never very much information or detail at the beginning of the story as to why Belle didn’t fit in, other than she liked books. Also what is she doing with her time?’ So, we created a backstory for her, which was that she had invented a kind of washing machine, so that, instead of doing laundry, she could sit and use that time to read instead. So, yeah, we made Belle an inventor.
I think that is a really smart, character driven change, adding a fair bit to why she might be the way she is. I’m really rooting for this film to be excellent, and I think all the pieces are there. Just a case of executing on them now.
- Dragon Ball FighterZ is Coming to Nintendo Switch This September - June 21, 2018
- Gears 5 Won’t go Back to ‘Gears of War 5’ Title - June 21, 2018
- Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Coming to Xbox One Next Month - June 21, 2018
- Quake Champions Extends its Free-to-Play Period Another Week - June 19, 2018
- Epic Games Removing Exploit that Allowed Players to Unintentionally Create a Swastika - June 19, 2018