Tributes and notices over the death of comic book artist and editor Steve Dillon this weekend have continued to pour in. We ran some earlier, we are running more now.
The New York Times reported, via longtime collaborator and friend Garth Ennis who Dillon was visiting in New York at the time, that the cause of death was a ruptured appendix, believed at the time to be food poisoning.
Garth Ennis wrote,
He changed my life in a couple of ways. The first was with a phone call, somewhere towards the end of ’91: “All right, mate, I’m thinking of heading over to New York in the new year, maybe for a long weekend. Fancy it?” The second was with two decades plus of brilliant artistic collaboration, where he took whatever lunacy I threw at him and made it work flawlessly, every single time.
Legendary #Preacher co-creator & amazing artist STEVE DILLON has passed away. I had a meal with him in TriBeCa years back. Such a great guy.
— KevinSmith (@ThatKevinSmith) October 23, 2016
We will be telling stories about Steve Dillon forever. Yes, including the one about Dave Stone. And I did appreciate this reaction.
I would like to read more about Deadline. Possibly his most influential creation in his entire career – and yes, that is saying something.
- Esad Ribic’s Cover for Fantastic Four #1 – and Reed is Keeping the Beard - April 19, 2018
- Venom #1 Relaunch from Donny Cates and Ryan Stegman Tops Advance Reorders - April 19, 2018
- Thanos Goes to Fourth and Third Printings, Domino, Hawkeye, and X-Men Red Get Seconds - April 19, 2018
- Eric Powell’s Video Update – and Albatross Funnybooks Solicits for July 2018 - April 19, 2018
- Stargate Anthology, Moon Maid, Ant & The Aardvark and Zorro Goes to Hell Launch in American Mythology July 2018 Solicits - April 19, 2018