The Vive’s controllers are a strange thing. They absolutely do the job, but they are pretty weird looking and don’t really allow you to simulate what your fingers are doing. This is something the Oculus Touch is leaning on in a big way.
Unsurprisingly then, the Vive is going to be putting out a competitor. This prototype has been shown off at Steam Dev Days, and they show something much smaller than the current controllers. Crucially, it looks like you can open your entire hand with the controller without it dropping too, meaning it might be able to track your hand movements as you do them.
This comes by way of Bit Space Dev’s Daniel Blair (via Gamespot). Take a look:
— Daniel Blair ✭ (@CMDannCA) October 13, 2016
There is no window on a release date here, or really any details at all so don’t expect these any time soon. These seem very cool though, and could open up a lot of complex input into Virtual Reality for games, software and communication. Bring it on I say.
- Quake Champions Extends its Free-to-Play Period Another Week - June 19, 2018
- Epic Games Removing Exploit that Allowed Players to Unintentionally Create a Swastika - June 19, 2018
- AJ Styles is the WWE 2K19 Cover Star - June 19, 2018
- Fallout 76’s Beta is Coming to Xbox One First - June 19, 2018
- EA is Talking About Cross-Play for FIFA, Says Creative Director - June 18, 2018