Marvel Comics really wants to sell 300,000 copies of Champions #1. Just like they did Uncanny Avengers #1 and Black Panther #1, lead books of previous line-wide relaunches. And they really want it to be the number one book for the month. They only have the other teen book to challenge it, Teen Titans #1.
Marvel are committed.
Marel’s SVP David Gabriel told ICV2 “I think I probably said to Tom Brevoort, I think this book should be called The Champions. And he, of course, got a tear in his 40-something year-old eye, and said, ‘it’ll never happen.’ And I said, ‘someone told me I would never get a million unit sales of Star Wars, so we’re going to make this happen.’ ”
Bleeding Cool has pointed out a number of their techniques for doing so and this week are providing a PR push with images released to the media, highlighting the characters in the new team.
- Image Comics Solicits For February 2018 Sees A New Governor For The Walking Dead - November 21, 2017
- The Morality Of Reading, Writing, And Publishing Doomsday Clock - November 21, 2017
- This Comic Store Is Giving Away Free Pizza With Every Issue Of Doomsday Clock #1 Tonight - November 21, 2017
- The Doomsday Clock #1 Retailer Exclusive Variant You’ll Never See - November 21, 2017
- Marvel Comics Solicits For February 2018: X-Men Is Red, Doctor Strange Has Damnation, And Star Wars Has Been Thrawn - November 21, 2017