Marvel Comics really wants to sell 300,000 copies of Champions #1. Just like they did Uncanny Avengers #1 and Black Panther #1, lead books of previous line-wide relaunches. And they really want it to be the number one book for the month. They only have the other teen book to challenge it, Teen Titans #1.
Marvel are committed.
Marel’s SVP David Gabriel told ICV2 “I think I probably said to Tom Brevoort, I think this book should be called The Champions. And he, of course, got a tear in his 40-something year-old eye, and said, ‘it’ll never happen.’ And I said, ‘someone told me I would never get a million unit sales of Star Wars, so we’re going to make this happen.’ ”
Bleeding Cool has pointed out a number of their techniques for doing so and this week are providing a PR push with images released to the media, highlighting the characters in the new team.
- Speculators Hoovering Up BLACK on eBay – When They Can Find It - April 23, 2018
- BLACK, the Superhero Comic Where Only Black People Get Superpowers, to Be a Film Franchise from Studio 8 - April 23, 2018
- Frank Cho Draws Aunt May’s Wheatcakes for Amazing Spider-Man #800 Cover - April 23, 2018
- ComicBooks for Kids at the Diamond Summit 2018 (VIDEO) - April 23, 2018
- The 28 Covers Of Tony Stark: Iron Man – And How Retailers Can Order Them - April 23, 2018