Marvel Comics really wants to sell 300,000 copies of Champions #1. Just like they did Uncanny Avengers #1 and Black Panther #1, lead books of previous line-wide relaunches. And they really want it to be the number one book for the month. They only have the other teen book to challenge it, Teen Titans #1.
Marvel are committed.
Marel’s SVP David Gabriel told ICV2 “I think I probably said to Tom Brevoort, I think this book should be called The Champions. And he, of course, got a tear in his 40-something year-old eye, and said, ‘it’ll never happen.’ And I said, ‘someone told me I would never get a million unit sales of Star Wars, so we’re going to make this happen.’ ”
Bleeding Cool has pointed out a number of their techniques for doing so and this week are providing a PR push with images released to the media, highlighting the characters in the new team.
- What Happened To Everyone In Love Actually, Revealed With Screencaps - March 24, 2017
- US Senators Want To Know Ike Perlmutter’s Comings And Goings - March 24, 2017
- Peter Kaye’s Car Share Series 2 Debuts At UK Cinemas Next Friday For Comic Relief - March 24, 2017
- A Few Comic Book Exclusives For WonderCon 2017… - March 24, 2017
- San Diego Comic Con To Open A Comics Museum In San Diego, In 2018 - March 24, 2017