All the talk of Broadway may be about Hamilton right now, but before that it was about Wicked. Now, Universal has officially announced a feature adaptation for the hit Broadway musical scheduled for theaters December 20th, 2019. The Wizard of Oz prequel has long since been in development with director Stephen Daldry being attached back in 2012.
Wicked has been seen by more than 50 million fans worldwide and broke the $1 Billion mark in Broadway ticket sales back in March. This will be an adaptation of an adaptation as the three-time Tony Award winning musical was originally adapted from Gregory Maguire’s bestselling novel. It was originally planed as a film first but changed course to the stage and made $14 Million after it’s debut in 2004.
The release date is during the holiday-Oscar period that worked very well for Les Miserables in 2012, getting eight Oscar nominations and three wins. Currently scheduled for the same weekend with Wicked in 2019 is an untitled Disney live-action fairy tale movie.
- Writer’s Commentary: Marc Andreyko on Legenderry Red Sonja #2 - March 20, 2018
- Allison Williams Joins Netflix’s ‘A Series of Unfortunate Events’ - March 20, 2018
- Exclusive First Look at Gabriel Hardman and Carlos D’Anda’s Aliens: Dust to Dust #3 Covers - March 20, 2018
- Legends of Tomorrow Season 3, Episode 15 Recap: Necromancing the Stone - March 20, 2018
- Supergirl Season 3: First Look at ‘Schott Through the Heart’ - March 20, 2018