All the talk of Broadway may be about Hamilton right now, but before that it was about Wicked. Now, Universal has officially announced a feature adaptation for the hit Broadway musical scheduled for theaters December 20th, 2019. The Wizard of Oz prequel has long since been in development with director Stephen Daldry being attached back in 2012.
Wicked has been seen by more than 50 million fans worldwide and broke the $1 Billion mark in Broadway ticket sales back in March. This will be an adaptation of an adaptation as the three-time Tony Award winning musical was originally adapted from Gregory Maguire’s bestselling novel. It was originally planed as a film first but changed course to the stage and made $14 Million after it’s debut in 2004.
The release date is during the holiday-Oscar period that worked very well for Les Miserables in 2012, getting eight Oscar nominations and three wins. Currently scheduled for the same weekend with Wicked in 2019 is an untitled Disney live-action fairy tale movie.
- 5 Things We Want to See in Krypton Season 2 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Gotham Season 5, the Final Season - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Black Lightning Season 2 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in DC’s Legends of Tomorrow Season 4 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Supergirl Season 4 - June 30, 2018