Hannah Means-Shannon, ex-EIC of Bleeding Cool, now editor at Dark Horse Comics, reported from Portland’s first Geek VCraft Expo
This weekend marked the first Geek Craft Expo PDX in Portland, Oregon, bringing together local artists and craftspeople of many fine varieties to sell their wares in an environment that reinforced their common bonds. And helped their community find their crafty geek shopping all in one place. The Expo opened to a strong showing, beating numbers in attendance compared to the first ever Rose City Comic Con in Portland, pretty much reinforcing the sense that this is only the beginning for the Expo. You can find the Expo’s presence on Facebook here and Twitter here.
Exhibitors at the Expo were pre-qualified to table at Rose City Comic Con in 2017 through taking part, and many of the vendors I spoke to were planning on taking up that offer. For some it would be their first experience of a comic convention, but they’d be making that step as part of an already established community.
The event was held at an event space that’s now part of the Double Tree Hotel in Portland, formerly the location of the first Stump Town convention, and that served the event well. I’m looking forward to seeing these folks at RCCC and at future (knock on wood) Expos.
Here’s a photo gallery of the Expo on Sunday, June 12th, including the tiny pink dragon I brought home to watch Game of Thrones with me:
- Win Tickets to the European Premiere of Ready Player One in London on Monday - March 17, 2018
- ComiXology Bestseller List – 16th March 2018 – Miracles and Visions - March 16, 2018
- How Marvel Will Encourage Retailers to Order High on Marvel Fresh Start - March 16, 2018
- Preview of Prentis Rollins’s Graphic Novel ‘The Furnace’ - March 16, 2018
- Separated at Birth: Suicide Squad and Heroes for Hire - March 16, 2018