Batman Rebirth #1 has a scene in which Calendar Man gives birth to himself. Superman Rebirth #1 is all about asking the question of whether the dead, departed Superman of the New 52 Earth can be brought back from the dead, asked by the Superman of the Pre-52 world. After all, he came back from the dead after being killed by Doomsday, after all.
I am noticing a theme.
We were previously told that the New 52 Superman died at the hands of Doomsday. In Action Comics, Lois and Jimmy met at the memorial to his death.
And yes, nicely appropriate last line there. And we also knew how he died…
Although that call got rather complicated (and never adequately resolved) by the subsequent Doomed storyline.
And in this issue, as the Pre-52 Superman explains his death and resurrection, Lana Lang reacts as if this never happened to the New 52 Superman. That he never died before.
But today? The Pre-52 Superman expects the whole thing to happen again. For the New 52 Superman to be reborn.
It’s not the worst assumption to make. Except we now find a new difference between the New 52 and the Pre-52 world.
Did Dr Manhattan nick it when no one was looking?
Superman Rebirth #1 by Pete Tomasi, Patrick Gleason and Doug Mahnke, is published today from DC Comics
- Forty Minutes of Alita: Battle Angel to be IMAX-Sized - December 11, 2018
- Is There a Post-Credit Scene in Aquaman? (No Spoilers) - December 11, 2018
- Aquaman Review: A Superhero Movie Without Any Depth [Spoiler Free, Ish] - December 11, 2018
- Jean-Marc Lofficier’s Writer’s Commentary on the Barbarella Holiday Special - December 11, 2018
- Everything You Knew About ‘Spider-Man No More’ Was Wrong Too - December 11, 2018