Part of the Future of Valiant initiative involves a new series by writer Peter Milligan (X-Static) and artist Juan Jose Ryp (Ninjak) called Britannia. It follows a decorated legionnaire who investigates reports of unnatural happenings at the farthest reaches of the Roman Empire, Britannia. In the time of Nero’s rule, Antonius Axia – the world’s first detective – must find a way to keep control over the Empire’s most barbaric frontier while keeping the monsters that bridge the line between myth and mystery at bay.
This new historical mystery kicks off in September and we have a first look at some of Ryp’s interior pages along with covers by Cary Nord (X-O Manowar), Lewis LaRosa (Bloodshot Reborn) and Dave Johnson (Superman: Red Son). There will also be covers by Andres Guinaldo (Justice League Dark) and Ryan Lee (Inhumans).
This, in a way, reminds me of a cross between HBO’s series Rome… though a few Caesar’s later and the 2004 King Arthur movie that looked at the legend in a more ‘realistic’ way focusing on Rome’s invasion of Britannia. Looking back at that film, it has an amazing cast: Clive Owen, Ioan Gruffudd, Mads Mikkelsen, Joel Edgerton, Hugh Dancy, Ray Winstone, Keira Knightly, Stephen Dillane, Stellan Skarsgard and of course Ray Stevenson who played in both King Arthur and Rome.
- 5 Things We Want to See in Krypton Season 2 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Gotham Season 5, the Final Season - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Black Lightning Season 2 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in DC’s Legends of Tomorrow Season 4 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Supergirl Season 4 - June 30, 2018