According to The Hollywood Reporter, it is unclear who she will play, but she joins Scarlett Johansson, Pilou Asbæk and Michael Pitt in the live action American adaptation of the manga series by Masamune Shirow.
The film has been the focus of a debate concerning the whitewashing of the main character, Major Kusanagi, by casting Johansson in the lead. Press materials usually refer to her character as “the Major,” but an underlying concern about the loss of a prominent Asian role lead to plenty of articles and Twitter posts suggesting Fukushima and other Asian actresses with Hollywood presence as better fits for the part.
The film will be directed by Snow White and the Huntsman‘s Rupert Sanders and is scheduled for release on April 14th, 2017.
- Space Ghost Coast To Coast’s C. Martin Croker Dead At 54 - September 18, 2016
- Comissioner Gordon Waits For The Batman In Justice League Photo - September 18, 2016
- Coulson And Mac Get Briefed On Odd Deaths In A Clip From Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premiere - September 17, 2016
- Movies With Mikey Tackles YouTube Show Monster Factory - September 17, 2016
- Todd McFarlane Promises A Dark Spawn Movie … Again - September 16, 2016