It’s not that unusual for publishers to announce sold out first issues. Less common are announcements of limited series being extended to ongoing status. What I don’t see is a publisher extending multiple series to ongoings.
Which is why I took note when Boom! Studios announced three of their limited series were being greenlit to ongoing status in a matter of four weeks.
First, Joyride was announced with an exclusive series trailer via io9, which resulted in the first issue selling out and going to a second printing. I pointed out that this coincided with the first printings jumping up in price on eBay. Respectfully, we told watch Joyride at an earlier juncture.
And most recently, at the end of last week, Goldie Vance joined the ongoing series club with another exclusive comic page via Paste. We noted the first issue had sold out and was going to a second printing 3 weeks earlier and speculated that it would be extended based on the eBay activity heating up. Jonesy and Goldie Vance joins other Boom! Box success stories like Lumberjanes and Giant Days.
Boom! is on quite a roll lately with sold out first issues and new ongoing series. It looks like their 15% cutback in production announced back in September is working with retailers. Of course, the extra fuel in their tank thanks to exceptional Power Ranger sales is likely helping as well. Will this trend continue throughout 2016?
- Joe Illidge, No Longer Executive Editor at Valiant Entertainment (UPDATED) - December 10, 2018
- What Avengers: Endgame May Owe to Roy Thomas and Avengers #71 - December 10, 2018
- Vancouver’s The Comicshop to Close - December 10, 2018
- J Scott Campbell Published His Own Captain Marvel Covers - December 10, 2018
- Top 500 Comics and Graphic Novels Ordered in November 2018 - December 10, 2018