This article will have spoilers for last nights DC’s Legends of Tomorrow episode Leviathan and for Captain America: Civil War.
I’m starting to think the folks on DC’s Legends of Tomorrow and DCTV all together want to try and be a step ahead of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Marvel is bringing magic into their film universe with Doctor Strange, the Arrow series has focused on magic with Damien Darhk, Constantine and Vixen. Marvel was going to release Ant-Man last summer, Arrow introduced Ray Palmer / the Atom before that.
Now one of the worst kept secrets is that in the upcoming Captain America: Civil War, Ant-Man uses the Pym Particles to grow instead of shrink. In the comics Hank Pym quickly changed personas from Ant-Man to Giant-Man, so making Scott Lang grow is not that far fetched for the history of the character.
Last night, when Waverider was being attacked by a giant robot called Leviathan… Palmer pulled a Doctor Who move and reversed the polarity of the dwarf star or something like that and suddenly grew huge and went toe-to-toe with the robot.
Now my history of DC comics may be patchy in some areas and I could be wrong, but I don’t recall any time that the Atom in the comics grew in size. So where it made for an interesting moment in the series and a neat visual, it also seemed a bit weird.
This doesn’t detract from the show in anyway. But historically the two companies fed off of each other. the Justice League was doing well so Martin Goodman told Stan Lee to make a hero team and we got the Fantastic Four. Comic history is filled with things like that. So it make sense. You could probably find even more parallels between the MCU and the DCTVU, but this one seems to be the most blatant so far.
- Legends of Tomorrow Season 3: Answer to the Black Canary Image from this Weekend - March 19, 2018
- Freeform Releases New Poster for Marvel’s Cloak and Dagger - March 19, 2018
- Syfy’s Nightflyers Changes Showrunners Before Pilot is Filmed - March 19, 2018
- Legends of Tomorrow Season 4 Will Have John Constantine Full-Time - March 19, 2018
- Joseph Michael Linsner and Kristina Deak-Linsner Team for New Vampirella Series - March 19, 2018