Following the release of a new Wonder Woman image featuring Gal Gadot as the Amazon princess flanked by Connie Nielsen as her mother Queen Hippolyta and Robin Wright and Lisa Loven Kongslias as General Antiope and Menalippe, concerns quickly rose about diversity on Paradise Island.
Director Patty Jenkins took to the Twitter to answer the concern that the island might be predominately northern European in talent make-up:
Thanks all. Excited to share! And no worries. Lots of great, diverse characters on Themyscira. This is Diana’s direct family. More soon!!
— Patty Jenkins (@PattyJenks) March 24, 2016
As representation becomes a greater concern, it is important for productions to address the question. And while it is easy to present a wider range of faces in a fantasy location, Themyscira’s Mediterranean origins certainly support that range as well. But will these “diverse characters” have much screentime when the story switches the European locations of World War I?
It’s always possible if the story takes a page from the Wonder Woman animated feature and the Amazons attack.
- Space Ghost Coast To Coast’s C. Martin Croker Dead At 54 - September 18, 2016
- Comissioner Gordon Waits For The Batman In Justice League Photo - September 18, 2016
- Coulson And Mac Get Briefed On Odd Deaths In A Clip From Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premiere - September 17, 2016
- Movies With Mikey Tackles YouTube Show Monster Factory - September 17, 2016
- Todd McFarlane Promises A Dark Spawn Movie … Again - September 16, 2016