According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Los Angeles Fire Department responded to a “medical emergency” call this morning at an address reportedly belonging to Shandling. He was taken to Providence Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica, but other details are still unclear as his family and representation have yet to comment.
Shandling may be best known for his two television shows, It’s Garry Shandling’s Show and The Larry Sanders Show. Both skewered traditional TV formats, with the earlier show featuring a fictionalized Shandling who was aware that he was a sitcom character. The later was a behind-the-scenes look at a late night talk show featuring Shandling as a chat host in the style of Johnny Carson or David Letterman. Shandling created and wrote for both programs.
He also appeared in movies, most recently as the recurring Senator Stern in Iron Man 2 and Captain America: The Winter Solider. He was first seen at a Senator committee meeting demanding that Tony Stark hand over the secrets to the Iron Man armor. This was likely a HYDRA ploy as the senator was revealed to be part of the origination in The Winter Solider.
He appeared as himself in Run Ronnie Run, Zoolander and in an episode of The X-Files.
While the details or his death are still undetermined, many in the industry were surprised by his sudden passing. Variety reports that he was not known to be ill and was recently spotted posing for a photo with Kathy Griffin and Bob Odenkirk.
- Space Ghost Coast To Coast’s C. Martin Croker Dead At 54 - September 18, 2016
- Comissioner Gordon Waits For The Batman In Justice League Photo - September 18, 2016
- Coulson And Mac Get Briefed On Odd Deaths In A Clip From Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premiere - September 17, 2016
- Movies With Mikey Tackles YouTube Show Monster Factory - September 17, 2016
- Todd McFarlane Promises A Dark Spawn Movie … Again - September 16, 2016